Saturday, May 16, 2015

May🎉

Greetings loved ones. Lately I have had some issues with technology, so I am sorry for not blogging recently.

I want to tell you all about this great museum I went to on Sunday. It was all about the immigration to the south and north america from the harbor in Hamburg. 

It displayed the wave of political aggrevation and the flee to the "new lands". People were leaving Germany in the early 1900s and late 1800s.

They would all take large, 8 week ships to reach New York. There were many levels based upon how much you could pay for your ticket, the rich paid 400 marks, where as poor people were paying around 60. The cost was the difference between Luxury, or disease infested dirt floors.

The craziest thing that I learned, is that if you ended up sick, or that you answered a question wrong during your interview upon arrival-you would be sent home. The long journey would have been a waste if you said " You were looking for work" Or any other question answered incorectly. 

It was also very interesting to read about the people who changed there names upon arrival. They all wanted to sound more american. It was good for finding work and fitting in, but it was bad because many family trees are mixed up today.

Did you know that there are over 80 German newspapers in the US? They still make the news in German for many americans today. I thought that was really cool.

I am now waiting for my Sport class to begin, but infortunately today I cant play because last week I had bronchitis. 

But today I plan on going on a nice bikeride through the forest across my house. 

I will try and keep you updated better. 

Kenzie








Random photo walking down the street

A famous chocolate called " Cat Tongues" WEIRD!




No comments:

Post a Comment