Monday, October 27, 2014

Fall Fun


I am officially done with the two week fall holiday...oh but wait a minute. No school for 2 more weeks? That's right. I HAVE A INTERNSHIP. 

So my mom could tell you, I definitely am too obsessed with college. Im going to be honest its one of my favorite topics. When im bored, I actually Google acceptance rate statistics and compare them to sat scores etc. Im pretty sure this is actually a nutty thing to do. But I don't care. I have always wanted to do something elaborate. Like International Law, or Business Management. But deep down, the serious black and white business world just seemed a little "unfun" for the wholeness of life. I most likely will walk down one of those fields some day...but I will always say "Hey! I can always be a kindergarten teacher" and fellows and lads...thats Just what I am doing these next two weeks.

I will be working at a bilingual kindergarten. Today was my first day! In the school, kindergarten is from age 3-6. When the child is over 6, they move on to another school for 1st grade. So technically these kids are in Kindergarten for 3 years. Teachers are only allowed to speak English to the kids. I think it is quite  impressive, these kids are learning German, as well as English at such a young age.

The strange thing is, in this school there is no direct teaching. Students learn while they do activities. So in the morning learning a new song, (packed with English words) they get new vocabulary..But they don't really know that they are.

Today I colored, sang songs, and played outside. It was actually quite fun! Most of the staff at the kindergarten come from English speaking countries. So the teacher I worked with grew up in South Africa. It is very interesting to hear of all of the teachers lives, and what initially led them to living in Germany. The typical reason turned out it be there husband or wife was German. 

Talking with many of the children, I was learning quite a bit of German from them. Them being so young, they couldn't really form direct sentences. They knew basics like numbers and colors but not really much else. We communicated in "germlish" and it was surprisingly educational for both of us. 

Today while I was outside with the children, I saw a boy sitting alone digging a hole in the sand pit. I went over to him saying "hello, what is your name" and he was really shy. I figured he would give me the confused look I had been getting all day, but he answered in great English. I was so surprised. This kid was only 3 and knew more than the older children. It turned out, his mother was from California, and his English was better than his German! From then on we became very good friends!  I am excited for what I am going to learn at the Kindergarten. It has been quite fun so far. 

With Halloween coming up, I carved a pumpkin, and roasted the seeds. Although it is not so common to do anything for Halloween in Germany, I had to have my own fun! 




My hosties wanted scary, but we settled for cute and scary 😁.


2 comments:

  1. OMG...Kenzie as a Kindergarten teacher...superb! I can imagine it now, you sitting in a circle playing guitar and singing the ABCs. BTWs that pumpkin is terrifying.

    XOXO,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the before and after pics of the victim/pumpkin! Your kindergarten experience is the way k used to be here before testing took over the scholastic system. Kindergarten was FUN and learning about the extreme basics of life...and we just thought we were playing...
    And by the way, looking at all those college stats and comparing? Yeah, you're weird. ooxoo!

    ReplyDelete