Thursday, September 18, 2014

Labskaus



Hello all,

This week, I had the chance to go to a friends house, and eat a traditional German dish. It is called Labskaus .It looks horrible, and by horrible I mean HORRIBLE.  I tried to keep an open mind about it, but as they opened the can of Corned Beef I could not help but feel a little gag-y. I definitely wanted to keep an open mind about the dish..so I carried on as if there was no issue. The dish itself looks like pink that was banned from McDonalds years ago. The dish itself consists of mashed potatoes,corned beef, and pickles. To make it look tastier people dye it with the juice of Cranberry pickles.

The dish dates back to sailor times, when you needed dinner but you had leftover breadcrumbs and fish. You basically mix together all of the materials that you have laying on board, and you serve it up as dinner. I definitely salute those gentlemen. The dish made it out into the city of Hamburg, and is now well known and quite popular.

Even though it did not look very tasty, I gave it a try! To my surprise, it was actually not so bad. It helped when I closed my eyes and ate it. After a few bites, I really started to enjoy it. Eventually everyone got that I was a little wigged out by the dish..but in the end it turned out to be great fun! I definitely experienced something quite out of my element.

This weekend I will head off to my Inbound Orientation. In my district we have 60 inbounds, so this should be great fun! It will be on an island called Helgoland. I am so excited! I will be sure to keep you updated.

As for now, I will go eat dinner. Then pack, but you know me, I may pack 1 hour before I leave. Lets hope I will be adapting more and more to this german "prepared" lifestyle.

Have a great day!

2 comments: